Thursday, May 06, 2004

They Will Touch Your Stomach

Ok, this was one warning I got early on in the game - that once I had a prompt belly, strangers would want to touch it. Well it's only happened once, so I really can't complain. HOWEVER, what strangers tend to do endlessly is make commentary and engage me when I'm out.

Today I did some leisurely shopping at the mall for a new "black bag". I am notorious for shopping for the "perfect" black bag and today I experienced a resurgence of that desire, so off I went. Oh the staring. I actually took a look in a mirror while bag hunting in Strawbridge's. Holy sh** am I huge!

My belly is an eye magnet, the equivalent of large fake breasts. Infact, I've noticed that men, when speaking to me, tend to now address my belly as if it is breasts.

It was fun at the beginning when I was carrying around a 5-6 month belly. I felt like I was part of a club. Now I'm simply annoyed by of all the "Betcha can't wait to have that baby - When are you DUE?-Oh my gosh you must be getting close" commentary. I am pregnant and I am big, and I am tired and YES, I would very much like to be done with pregnancy. No need to bring up the obvious. I have nothing else to say, AND may I note that when you're at or PAST your due date, it tends to make people titter even more. You're doomed. Just lie. Say you're carrying big.

Speaking of carrying...I didn't find the bag I wanted. Boo.
I did, however, get the other Augusten Burroughs book, Sellevision, another Q magazine, CDs, and a handheld Tetris game to while away the late hours of my pregnancy. Perhaps I'll play Tetris in bed tonight.

Oh, and regarding outside lounging...the cushion on the chaise lounge was too wet to sit on earlier today. Guy said he'd bring it in tonight to keep it dry so I can sit outside tomorrow. I'm a giant queen bee...and I like Dairyland.

No comments: