Saturday, July 09, 2005

Quiet, Mommy

The most torturous event has occurred. I have no voice.

Guy couldn't be happier. The first thing he said this morning when I demonstrated my situation, was "Hey Spencer it's gonna be really quiet around here today!" Accompanied by a smile, of course. Spencer is looking at me like I'm a loon. And on top of this, I had THE worst sleep I've had since Spencer was born and it had absolutely nothing to do with him.

I took Alka Seltzer Flu Plus so I could sleep last night, and about two hours later I finally passed out in front of the tv with Guy next to me. At 330 I roused Guy and we transferred our delirious selves into bed. I closed my eyelids, but my eyes did not feel closed. My mind was racing about moving and packing, about a potential change in the whole schedule, about high school, college and my life so far. It was like having an annoying relative or acquaintance in the room that I couldn't get rid of. My brain would not shut up.

I tossed, I turned for probably 45 minutes with no end in sight. Finally I decided there must be something soothing about the couch, so I left Guy in bed for the raggedy sectional in the tv room. No sooner had I snuggled in under an ancient red nylon comforter, in walked Guy. I waved. He tried to help me get to sleep and apparently it worked, because back to bed we went. Where I promptly woke up again. We switched sides of the bed to simulate how we rested in the tv room. An entire production for a little shut eye. Sheesh.

I'm writing this in a bit of a drug haze. All that dextromethorphan and anithistamine and whatever else sure does linger. Wow, I just checked to see if my spelling of dextromethorphan was right: I'm good!
I need work on the word "delirious" though.

Spencer and Guy played dog with a ball today. I'll elaborate on this another time. I'm quite consumed with my lack of voice, they're replaying Live 8 without the annoying VJ interruptions on VH1 (and its distracting me), and I need to get some packing done or something even though I just want to go to sleep.

In less than 3 weeks, we'll be living in the suburbs. Time flies when you're procrastinating.

No comments: