Thursday, July 07, 2005

London Calling

Hey, everyone across the pond: I'm sorry you had to deal with this today. I can say to some extent I know how some of you must be feeling. Doesn't it suck that we now have more in common due to suffering than regular living?

Stupid t********s.
I won't use the word. I won't acknowledge them by name. They who shall remain nameless.

The day after London won the bid to host the 2012 Olympics, the starting day of the G8 Summit in Gleneagle, Scotland, frigging bombs went off in London. Our president immediately talked about spreading an "ideology of hope" to combat an "ideology of hate." The heads of Parliament expressed their sadness and dismay with many a "here here" echoing in unison, Spain stood tall and condemned the attacks completely, Americans went shopping for shoes and talked loudly on cell phones in drug stores....
What? Yep. Cell phones.
I was out and about this morning and I didn't hear ONE single person talking about what happened. Listening to NPR in the car, a commentator reported that some Americans, when polled about this incident, said they actually DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW about it. I don't think I get that. How does that help anything? How does it unite us in a common goal with the world if we don't even care what happens on the other side of our borders?
I was at Live 8 over the weekend and there was a similar issue. In Europe and Canada, the concerts and events around the concert got incredible coverage. Here, we could barely keep the performances going on screen in between VJ chatter and Axe cologne ads.
How can we be at war and be so isolationist? Oh and another thing, I'm confused about whether or not we're at war with Iraqi insurgents, or at war with terrorism in general. The president keeps changing the focus and I can't keep up.
In local news, during a surprise late night session this morning, the Pennsylvania Legislature passed a new state budget, complete with major pay hikes they approved for themselves. Nice. Gas is up to 62$ a barrel, kids in Philadelphia schools can't get proper text books, but legislators need more money. Let me guess...the cost of living has risen because of gas prices? Heh. Don't ask anyone in the street about it though. They might run away.
Wow this is pretty politically driven today.
I blame it on the fact that I'm sick with some on-coming cold, and I'm too tired to discuss my packing habits, or lack therof.

Have I mentioned I hate moving? But here 's the difference between me and t********s: I'm not going to bomb anything, write manifestos or oppress anyone. I also hate broccoli and cream sauces. Does that mean I should live the rest of my life planning to obliterate them from menus worldwide?
I'll go pick up Spencer before Hurricane Dennis comes to get us.

Everyone be nice.

No comments: